Portugal Citizen Card and Passport
Upon becoming a Portuguese citizen,the law does not require you to obtain a Portuguese passport, just a PortugueseCitizen Card, a general ID card. However, there are some advantages toapplying for a Portuguese passport for international travel. Portugal allowsdual nationality, and there are several options for immigrant residentsapplying for a Portuguese passport without giving up their original passport.As Portugal is an EU country, a Portuguese passport allows its holder to travelaround the world as both a Portuguese and an EU citizen. Portuguese passports are issuedthrough the Portuguese Ministry of Justice (Instituto dos Registos e doNotariado). In 2006, the Portuguese government began issuing electronicallyenhanced passports (Passaporte Eletrónico Português – PEP) with improvedsecurity features and biometric information. All standard Portuguese passportsare now PEP.
There are five types of Portuguese passport
- Standard Portuguese electronic passport (PEP) issued to Portuguese citizens
- Diplomatic Passport (PD) issued to officials carrying out diplomatic business
- Passport for Foreign Citizens (PCE) issued to stateless individuals with no other passports who have been granted the right to reside in Portugal. Valid for 2 years.
- Special Passport (PES) given to Portuguese officials who perform certain Public Administration functions
- Temporary Passport (PT) issued in certain emergency circumstances for a period of up to one year
You can apply for a Portuguese passport at any of the following places
- At the offices of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF)
- In Portuguese Citizen Shops
- In the passport shops at Lisbon and Porto airports
- In the government offices of the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira
- In Portuguese consulates around the world